First of all, full credit to deadhp1 for providing the original Ubuntu 11.10 image on which this is based.
This is an "enhanced" version of the stock Ubuntu image, but my definition of enhanced probably doesn't mean what you think it means.
My goal is to create a minimal system similar to what you would get if you installed the Ubuntu Minimal CD. It will boot to text, has apt-get, and that's it. Everything else has been purged. Use it as a bare naked base system on which you can add exactly and only what you want. I come from a Gentoo background and prefer my systems lean and mean. This image will fit on a 1G card with ~340megs to spare. Install with dd. I use a DM9601 usb-Ethernet adapter so I haven't tested wifi but iwconfig and wpasupplicant are there.
Some things I've noticed:
- The loadavg is always 4 at a minimum, even at idle. This really should be 0 but I have no idea what's keeping it up.
 This seems to have calmed down a bit. It still hovers between 3 and 4. still weird.
- cron in the stock image was always spiking the cpu for 100% for no apparant reason. (it's purged in this image)
- fbset is weird. I have to set the current console to 1920x1200 before setting the rest (with -a). If I try -a first, it just blackscreens.
Nuked from the stock Ubuntu image:
- X, GNOME, all GUI apps. NetworkManager, Mono
- All the video/sound/image libraries.
- CUPS, all the printer drivers, colord, GCC and build tools
- More crap that has no use in a Minimal setup.
- The Freescale codecs have been purged and they are not in apt. You'll have to jump a few hoops to get them back.
- It's been upgraded to 12.04.1 LTS
- Installed fbset and updated fb.modes, also included a 1920x1200 mode
- / is mounted noatime,nodiratime
- password is linaro. too lazy to remember how to clear it
- moved /wlan.ko to /lib/modules/wlan.ko and adjusted scripts
- Added wpasupplicant
- Reset the fb to 1280x720-60p at boot
- "Feature XYZ is missing, why did you remove it?"
Because feature XYZ is superfluous on a minimal system. Want it back? apt-cache search XYZ
- How to expand the partition into a larger SD with command line only
Replace the ? with the correct letter, else you'll nuke your drive
dd if=BareMetal1 of=/dev/sd?
delete partition 1, new primary partition 1, first sector at 31248, last sector at default, write
fsck -f /dev/sd?1 and fix errors