First Linux distri on RK3066 - PicUntu 0.9 RC 2.1.

Forum for RockChip RK3066 based devices
aloksinha2001

First Linux distri on RK3066 - PicUntu 0.9 RC 2.1.

Postby aloksinha2001 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:16 pm

Announcing the availability of PicUntu 0.9 RC 2.1.

===>>> We now have a bugfix release PicUntu 0.9 RC 2.2

In less than 8 weeks, of the first time, that Linux kernel was able to be run on MK808/UG802/MX1 etc (RK3066 chipset) based USB sticks, we are happy to announce the world's first complete Linux distribution for the RK3066.
Starting with a minimal download of no more than 170MB.

PicUntu - 0.9RC2.1 - 1.png
Attached Image: PicUntu - 0.9RC2.1 - 2.png

You can use menus and simple selections to configure your system to be a full fledged system - that can act as

Company webserver: With fully function web server, extremely robust MySql, PHP5 and hell !, we have also added up a very powerful web based MySql administrator -phpmyadmin. All configured and ready to be used.
Corporate Mail server: Sendmail, name server, fetchmail are installed with one selection only
Share network over Windows/Cifs network sharing
[b]Central database server[/b]: If you need a common database to store and manage your office and/or home use, choose PicUntu for a hassle free operation.
Content manager: Use this tiny little 10W user as your formal content management portal. Here is an example of site running on PicUntu
Developer's paradise: If you would rather develop kernels and modules for the arm world, simply select to download the kernel sources and you can begin coding in a few minutes.
Power GUI desktop: Yes, we can be green and beautiful Running under 6W, average you can have the pleasure of a full High Definition (1920x1080p) desktop, with a choice of xfce/gnome shells
Add extras such as flash, graphics programs, Office suite clones - by virtue of simply clicking on it.

PicUntu - 0.9RC2.1 - 2.png

PicUntu is a Linux distribution, based on Ubuntu, designed to work on your RK3066 chipset devices.

Features
Packed with detailed features, we provided a separate page for this

Download
You can download the files here.. Code repository at google has kicked us out for the huge files we are keeping and running throughput... we have this server. Need mirrors, kindly let us know, if you have setup any mirrors please.

Credits
To the several testers here and other forums, who have diligently downloaded, tested, reverse engineered as well as help us in pin-pointing the exact issues and faults.
Thanks to the large team of people on this and several other people, whose work we shamelessly pawned off into this code....

Installation Guide
We have posted this guide at slatedroid as well.
However, here is the link to original document

ChangeLog
Changelog, since 0.1 Pre-alpha

Feature Requests
You can ask for feature requests for the upcoming release. Click here, and then New Issue

Please do not hesitate to try this out and let us know what you think, or if you find any way to make it better....

- Brought by PicUntu Development team
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by aloksinha2001 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

labidus

Re: First Linux distri on RK3066 - PicUntu 0.9 RC 2.1.

Postby labidus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:07 pm

Great, thank you!

I ordered my revice yesturday, MK809II, its use RK3066, so it will work?

Also if I make an opengl app on ubuntu for arm, it will work with opengl es 2 or not? I ask because in your site you say hardware acceleration are diabled

Anyway nice work!

seanboc2013

Postby seanboc2013 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:28 pm

GUys,

First of all well done in getting RC2 out. I tried it on the MK808 using both the pre-picuntu.sh tool. I get the following error, during install, regardless of running as root or ordinary user:

Files have been copied, but not yet written to disk... will now sync.
This would take some time .. hold on.
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 326: /tmp/picuntu/etc/modules: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 329: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Card.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 330: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Device.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 331: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Module.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 332: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Supd.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 335: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Card.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 336: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Device.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 337: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Module.picuntu: No such file or directory
awk: cmd. line:1: fatal: cannot open file `/tmp/picuntu/etc/network/interfaces' for reading (No such file or directory)
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 341: /tmp/picuntu/etc/network/interfaces: No such file or directory
awk: cmd. line:1: fatal: cannot open file `/tmp/picuntu/etc/network/interfaces' for reading (No such file or directory)
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 357: /tmp/picuntu/etc/network/interfaces: No such file or directory

The external drive is formatted using the tool and I select the wifi interface to install with.

Install Method 2:

I tried the other approach which involves copying the install to the external linuxroot drive as root. This did boot up but it does not detect the wifi network card ad an error is thrown in the picuntu-da-server.sh script i.e.

at line 202 -> /usr/lcoal/picuntu-top.pdm --menu-network_conf No such file or directory

I also have a usbnet0 device, although detected, it fails to allow any configuration. In effect the drivers are useless. Without network connectivity, I am fairly stuck, as the install requires it, and therefore useless.

Any help or help?

TIA

S.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gottfried

Postby Gottfried » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:45 pm

Alok:

I am very pleased to see Picuntu. Thank you. I am running Finless 1.6. I have flashed the 0.3 kernel to my MK808. I downloaded this file:

picuntu-linuxroot-.09-RC2.1.tgz: [~170MB] - You do not need to manually download the file, if you have downloaded the above mentioned - pre-picuntu.sh. However, for other platforms, you would need to download this file.

I extracted same it is not an img file and "Win32 disk manager does not recognise it. Where do I get an image/iso, to put on my stick. I have computers up in both Ubuntu 12.04 and Win7. I am flashing my MK808 from the Win7. I am mostly a GUI fellow.

Thx.

Gottfried

aloksinha2001

Postby aloksinha2001 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Gottfried,

We have not yet released the windows disk image - primarily due to lack of time... but will be doing so shortly (day or two)

At this point of time, your best bet is download a small live linux...

Alok

aloksinha2001

Postby aloksinha2001 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:07 pm

seanboc2013 wrote:GUys,

First of all well done in getting RC2 out. I tried it on the MK808 using both the pre-picuntu.sh tool. I get the following error, during install, regardless of running as root or ordinary user:

Files have been copied, but not yet written to disk... will now sync.
This would take some time .. hold on.
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 326: /tmp/picuntu/etc/modules: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 329: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Card.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 330: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Device.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 331: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Module.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 332: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Supd.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 335: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Card.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 336: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Device.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 337: /tmp/picuntu/tmp/Module.picuntu: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 341: /tmp/picuntu/etc/network/interfaces: No such file or directory
./pre-picuntu.sh: line 357: /tmp/picuntu/etc/network/interfaces: No such file or directory

The external drive is formatted using the tool and I select the wifi interface to install with.

Install Method 2:

I tried the other approach which involves copying the install to the external linuxroot drive as root. This did boot up but it does not detect the wifi network card ad an error is thrown in the picuntu-da-server.sh script i.e.

at line 202 -> /usr/lcoal/picuntu-top.pdm --menu-network_conf No such file or directory

I also have a usbnet0 device, although detected, it fails to allow any configuration. In effect the drivers are useless. Without network connectivity, I am fairly stuck, as the install requires it, and therefore useless.

Any help or help?

TIA

S.

Thanks for taking the efforts to debug.. .and excellent bug report.

Ok - am working to fix the above bugs...

but in the meanwhile, if you have gotten this far..then you have all the things that you need to run....

You need only do the following steps.. manually and you would be all set

1. Open /etc/modules - and ensure it has only one entry.. (ignore the commented ones)
bcm40181

2. Load for next boot.

Code: Select all

depmod -a

3. Now load the module for this boot.

modprobe bcm40181

4. Check if its loaded

lsmod

If you see, bcm40181 loaded...

5. Then
make sure your /etc/network/interfaces has the following lines

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto usbnet0
iface usbnet0 inet dhcp

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
      wpa-ssid <Your AP>
      wpa-psk <your pass>

6. NOw restart the network

service networking restart

It should work ...

Like I said earlier... in about 24-30 hours, I will be putting up a bug-fix release...

Alok

aloksinha2001

Postby aloksinha2001 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:08 pm

labidus wrote:Great, thank you!

Also if I make an opengl app on ubuntu for arm, it will work with opengl es 2 or not? I ask because in your site you say hardware acceleration are diabled

Anyway nice work!

OpenGL Es 2 will NOT work.... atleast till we get our hands on the vide driver (MALI fixed)

Alok

bhind

Postby bhind » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:33 pm

Congrats, guys.Grate work!

I used Fedora live CD,and I got an error "not a valid identifier" running pre-picuntu.sh.Renaming "chk-uid" to "chk_uid" solved it.
After all,I have same issue(seanboc2013 reported) with pre-picuntu.sh.
so I tried pre alpha 0.3 method(directly extracted tar ball with preserving permission option as root),but I can't get LightDM working...

Any suggestions?

ps. Does anyone have mozc binary for PicUntu?

muratremix

Postby muratremix » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:01 pm

I mirrored files on my server. Picuntu authors can direct link to my mirror at their disposal. Others (blog owners etc) please link to Picuntu downloads page first, no direct links.

http://192.151.153.130/murat/picuntu/

bhind

Postby bhind » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:25 pm

bhind wrote:After all,I have same issue(seanboc2013 reported) with pre-picuntu.sh.

By any chance, "pv" command caused it?(Perhaps Fedora doesn't have pv command by default)

Gottfried

Postby Gottfried » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:11 pm

Alok:

I will be out of town tomorrow. No rush. I am your average Ubuntu user. Internet, email, and a little word processing. I just see ARM as the comming thing and want to watch it eclipse X86. I will watch for the image file. I will tell you what I find.

Gottfried

bhind

Postby bhind » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:22 pm

bhind wrote:but I can't get LightDM working...

I realized i need to run picuntu-da-server.sh at first boot...sorry.

labidus

Postby labidus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:33 pm

aloksinha2001 wrote:
labidus wrote:Great, thank you!

Anyway nice work!

OpenGL Es 2 will NOT work.... atleast till we get our hands on the vide driver (MALI fixed)

Alok

Ok thanks, i would like to help, in few weeks i will get my hand on my MK809II, I guess it will not work out of the box with your latest release, but If i can help to add a new device, when I will get the device i will see what I can do with MALI400 if its not yet ready to help.

I need this, I am working on a project to use this kind of device in opengl and also need a cool little ubuntu server to handle all my stuffs, I currently use a raspberry pi but compared to MK809II, single core 700mz vs 1600mz dual core, it will increase the server speed a lot :)

seanboc2013

Postby seanboc2013 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:46 am

Hi,

Ok the recommended manual steps worked to get the wifi up and running on the MK808 with RC2 of picuntu as eth0. I will try usbnet0 later today. So to get this to start the various component download and begin the real OS install I did the following:

1. As root, tar -xvzf <picuntu file> -C /media/linuxroot, which dumps the RC2 release to the mounted SDHC card. It avoids the step of extracting the files locally as well.
2. Login as root, and carried out your recommended manual fixes to get Wifi up and running
3. Run from /usr/local/picuntu the picuntu-da-server.sh script and bypassed configuring the network as it was already running
4. From the menu driven interface, select the components you want and watch the screen scroll with a nice cup of coffee!

Well done guys - there is always going to be teething problems with this sort of thing. As I say I will test usbnet0 later and revert.

Regards

Sean

bhind

Postby bhind » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:55 am

I installed pv,then shell script got no error.
FYI

buzz86us

Postby buzz86us » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:50 am

will PicUntu play well with Cyanogenmod (this installs CWM)? I am especially excited for this since the google plus site says that they have figured out hardware acceleration.

menhir

Postby menhir » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:49 am

is there any chance to get it as basic installation (inclusive gui like xfce) working on 2GB micro sd card?
it says 4gb sdcard on website

aloksinha2001

Postby aloksinha2001 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:00 pm

menhir wrote:is there any chance to get it as basic installation (inclusive gui like xfce) working on 2GB micro sd card?
it says 4gb sdcard on website

I believe a good xfce will not fit under 3GB... even though, you can get a BASIC gui running, but it will not be of much use anyways... hence recommending 4gb for install

If you need to do devel work also, then you need about 8GB to be comfortable... as you easily shoot up to 4.8 GB !

Alok

buzz86us

Postby buzz86us » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:13 am

I don't have a linux box currently but I heard there was an sd card image floating around that I could use once I flashed the kernel to recovery I was just looking for the desktop mode if someone could help me out.

ssane13

Stuck in linux boot only.

Postby ssane13 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:39 pm

Hi all,
I followed all the instructions to get PicUntu running on my UG802 with a 4GB SD card. However, I see that I can now only reboot into the recovery kernel that is the linux image. I cannot boot into the Finless 1.7 ROM image which I had installed with the RKTools at the same time I installed the recovery. Is there any was to switch into booting the normal boot image (android) from within PicUntu? I don't suppose we have the MTD drivers installed in the PicUntu image so that we can access the NAND flash from within the linux image?

Return to “Rockchip RK3066”