Ubuntu Linux for RK3066 devices (pre-Alpha 0.3 released)

Forum for RockChip RK3066 based devices

Re: Ubuntu Linux for RK3066 devices (pre-Alpha 0.3 released)

Postby Krinyo » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:32 am

Wow, thanx!
Krinyo

Postby bolsa1 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:38 am

hoping as this progresses that we can have individual builds for each stick that can just work out of the box for our individual sticks looking for drivers and installing them on linux is a huge pain. I can't wait for video acceleration so I don't have to pay for hulu... why should I pay them for ads? Also so I can stream from Amazon Instant Video.
bolsa1

Postby Fordee » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:03 pm

Merry Christmas to AndrewDB, and everyone at ArmTvTech!
Fordee

Postby cnxsoft » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:02 am

bolsa1 wrote:hoping as this progresses that we can have individual builds for each stick that can just work out of the box for our individual sticks looking for drivers and installing them on linux is a huge pain. I can't wait for video acceleration so I don't have to pay for hulu... why should I pay them for ads? Also so I can stream from Amazon Instant Video.

I haven't followed that much, but I don't think we'll ever see hardware video decoding in Linux with that platform, since (AFAIK) Rockchip does not provide any Linux SDK.
For the GPU, it's the same problem, except there is still hope thanks to Lima drivers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
cnxsoft

Postby woro » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:30 pm

muratremix wrote:It seems nobody bothered to make an USB / SDCard image for this linux distro. What a bummer.
It took more than one hour for me to do all work on VirtualBox using Gparted Live.

Anyway I prepared an IMG file and uploading it to my server if anyone wants to try ubuntu on MK808 or other devices.

Edit:

I managed to fully erase my sd card and make it from scratch. Now 7Zip can compress it much better, only 462 Mb.
I stopped uploading old 1.82 Gb file, new file will be completed in 30 minutes

Filename is mk808-ubuntu-0.3a.7z (462 MB or 485.322.406 bytes)
Direct link: http://win.karsiyaka.com/murat/mk808/mk ... tu-0.3a.7z

Ready to download.

Hello muratremix,

that image file is the first one with minor problems.

With the pre-Alpha 0.3 release I had, as many others, problems to start the desktop.

dd this image to a stick and the desktop started without intervention. But even then I had Problems with permissions.

For instanstance /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper was set to group netdev, I changed it to messagebus, then I could configure and start networking but had still problems with authorisation.

The I took the /usr/lib directory from the pre-Apha 0.3 release, copied it to the root file system from the .img and then it was running.

I know this is not the way to do it... it was just a try (and since the kernel is the same...).

To be sure that all libs required are there and to prevent further permission problems I reinstall all installed packages (it is running since hours now...) according to http://www.osfight.de/?p=163

I will save the resulting root-fs to an image for future installations (I do this only if I have to to it - many hours)

I will try the same with the original pre-Alpha 0.3 release (starting xfce as root), there I can access networking only if I start xfce as root...

My configuration:

Finless 1.5a
iMito MX2 (have a MK808 as well)
Wlan out of the box: Alfa AWUS036NH

Thank you for publishing your .img file - it helped a lot!

woro
woro

Postby LSDalKa » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:48 pm

Soooo, Happy 2013 to everyone!
And many thanks to the developers of the project.If someone knows please tell me:
-Which missing pieces of code(from the developers/manufacturers) are needed to succed in a fully functional linux on MK806/8 (fully functional=almost like on desktop pc=using rk3066 and mali400 in full, internal wi-fi etc.)Will that happen in due time?
-Is it possible to build a kernel which will recognise any Linux distro's root filesystem loaded from sdcard?
-And of course, any news on Alpha0.4?
LSDalKa

Postby penguin42 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:52 pm

Thanks this kernel image seems to boot nicely on my mk809; I'm waiting for a uSD and/or USB hub to actually mount the rootfs, but it's
happily got the initramfs without any filesystem plugged in with a console on hdmi - so that's me happy (easily pleased!)

Are there instructions anywhere on how to build the .img files for the kernel/initrd?

(Getting the image on the mk809 was pretty easy after I'd found the right rune to get it to recongise the device;
I pushed the kernel image across using adb, then dd'd it to the /dev/block/mtd/by-name/recovery with bs=8192

From linux, getting adb to recognise it just needed a ~/.android/adb_usb.ini with the line
0x2207 device
in (not sure if the device is needed or not - conflicting web pages - but seems to work),
and getting the perms right with udev.
)

From the Linux image is there a way to do networking to the host over the usb like you can do with
adb? It sounds like it shouldn't be hard just wondred if any one had already done it.
Dave
penguin42

Postby aloksinha2001 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:42 am

LSDalKa wrote:Soooo, Happy 2013 to everyone!
And many thanks to the developers of the project.If someone knows please tell me:
-Which missing pieces of code(from the developers/manufacturers) are needed to succed in a fully functional linux on MK806/8 (fully functional=almost like on desktop pc=using rk3066 and mali400 in full, internal wi-fi etc.)Will that happen in due time?
-Is it possible to build a kernel which will recognise any Linux distro's root filesystem loaded from sdcard?
-And of course, any news on Alpha0.4?

Yes... hopefully you would seem something on this soon...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1193

Alok
aloksinha2001

Postby CruNcher » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:30 pm

cnxsoft wrote:
bolsa1 wrote:hoping as this progresses that we can have individual builds for each stick that can just work out of the box for our individual sticks looking for drivers and installing them on linux is a huge pain. I can't wait for video acceleration so I don't have to pay for hulu... why should I pay them for ads? Also so I can stream from Amazon Instant Video.

I haven't followed that much, but I don't think we'll ever see hardware video decoding in Linux with that platform, since (AFAIK) Rockchip does not provide any Linux SDK.
For the GPU, it's the same problem, except there is still hope thanks to Lima drivers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And thus for Multimedia purposes it's pretty useless in this case better concentrate on thinks that are possible :)

At least i hope RockChip is gonna understand that investing time into Native XBMC support for their VPU is a useful thing i guess also the demand by it from their ODMs and customers for it is going up, so sooner or later they gonna show up ;)

The VPU integration into Android is really going well their are little quirks here and there (one of the biggest quirks i found that some streams need some time before they get hardware accelerated @ all in that time it becomes a slideshow in the browser for some frames (HTML5, not a 100% Seamless experience yet) but overall it's pretty stable and works out of the Box :)

It's a pity that Flash is dead and it seems they invested some time into the Flash Integration part which runs very awesome, also the flash part is so much more versatile seeing all the different player interfaces and OSDs all the platforms came up with and HTML5 seeing all the time the Default Player interface gets a little annoying mostly only Youtube has their own partly working Interface (same as the Flash interface), though that is also a problem in Desktop mode on all the current Mobile browsers with the RK Integration (i guess though everyone suffers from this not only RockChip) :)

In my test only 1 Bitstream was problematic @ playback with Flash Player looking like loosing the Hardware acceleration and falling back to Adobes (Mainconcepts) Software Decoder.

And a lot of services i tested have no real HTML5 solutions @ all and they rather allow high quality content to be shown with minimum advertising (then not showing it @ all on mobile devices like the Ipad) (as they yet don't know how to input advertising while the stream is running via HTML5, efficiently with low overhead, working in all browsers)

Which is good for the Consumers (less advertising) while this transitioning is still going on ;)

So Flash on the RK solution is a great experience (plastered with advertising and sometimes that can be as heavy as every 10 minutes advert brakes) some examples from German (Broadcaster Platforms Public/Private) and most popular (Non Geo IP Restricted Free Services ) i tested you can find in my RK3066 Device and Software Backend Review (German only sorry) :)
Though also HTML5 works (with those slideshow issue in the first seconds sometimes) not as nice depending on the browser but Hardware accelerated as well (yeah) :)
http://www.android-hilfe.de/sonstige-an ... metal.html

Oh my goodness on a official Sony Channel Interlaced Music Video Content that is crazy, actually it seems the input has been wrong ivtced and that in 2013 :(
CruNcher

Postby Gottfried » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:26 pm

Need user name and password for Ubuntu (pre alpha 0.3 release) "mk808-ubuntu 0.3a". I was at log in screen. I went "Control Alt F2. I am now at command prompt. I have tried:

Logging in

When you hit the login screen you have two options for logging in:

username: root / password: ubuntu
username: ubuntu / password: ubuntu
No joy.

I have also tried:

NOw two issues you have
1. su
to achieve that you need to first set the passwd for root
sudo passwd root
(pass for user ubuntu is ubuntu, now set the root password to whatever you like)
next
su
enter the new pass u created.

2. To get the GUI, (not in su mode - but in ubuntu login)

startxfce4

This should kick in the X for xfce and you would be all set.

3. The internal wifi will NOT run (not yet atleast) ... so you need to have a USB dongle for wifi or ethernet... with that you can setup what you want.

Alok

No joy.

Command line is asking for: rk3066dev login:

Does anyone have the code. I need to be root. For now set user name to "root" and password to "Ubuntu".

Thank you.
Gottfried
Gottfried

PreviousNext

Return to Rockchip RK3066