RK30xx kernel source for custom modding...

Omegamoon

Re: RK30xx kernel source for custom modding...

Postby Omegamoon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:14 am

osgema wrote:Is what I did copy the vpu_service.uu, but I get the error

Code: Select all

make [1]: *** No rule to make target 'arch / arm / plat-rk / vpu_service.o "needed to" arch / arm / plat-rk / built-IN.O.' stop

Should we do more?
The error clock_data.o already solved by deadhp1

P.D. Forgive for my English but I'm traducciendo with google
    Not only copy vpu_service.uu but copy all files from the github repository over here into arch\arm\mach-rk29\

I made a few other changes, but I don't have access to my system currently, so I'm doing this from the top of my head. You need to remove (or rename) arch\arm\plat-rk\include\plat\vpu_service.h, and remove the line referring to vpu_service.o from arch\arm\plat-rk\Makefile. Then try again ;)
    For updates please visit www.omegamoon.com
    A big round of applause to yobikap for donating a MK808 and tonikasch for donating a MK808B!

If you like what I'm doing, consider a small donation by clicking the "Donate" button on my website

osgema

Postby osgema » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:25 am

Omegamoon wrote:
      Not only copy vpu_service.uu but copy all files from the github repository over here into arch\arm\mach-rk29\

I made a few other changes, but I don't have access to my system currently, so I'm doing this from the top of my head. You need to remove (or rename) arch\arm\plat-rk\include\plat\vpu_service.h, and remove the line referring to vpu_service.o from arch\arm\plat-rk\Makefile. Then try again ;)

I can not wait to get home to try it. Until tonight podre not try.
      Thank you very much for responding.

Omegamoon

Postby Omegamoon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:28 am

osgema wrote:
      Omegamoon wrote:

I can not wait to get home to try it. Until tonight podre not try.
        Thank you very much for responding.
        What country are you from by the way. Google translates some words a bit strange here and there it seems :)
        A big round of applause to yobikap for donating a MK808 and tonikasch for donating a MK808B!

If you like what I'm doing, consider a small donation by clicking the "Donate" button on my website

osgema

Postby osgema » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:32 am

What country are you from by the way. Google translates some words a bit strange here and there it seems :)

I am from Spain. So I apologized for the issue of translations

Omegamoon

Postby Omegamoon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:44 am

osgema wrote:

I am from Spain. So I apologized for the issue of translations
        no hay problema :D My spanish is probably much worse!

junaru

Postby junaru » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:23 am

Omegamoon wrote:

make [1]: *** No rule to make target 'arch / arm / plat-rk / vpu_service.o "needed to" arch / arm / plat-rk / built-IN.O.' stop

Should we do more?

Hmm, tried that, but it doesn't look like it does anything. I have CONFIG_RK29_VPU enabled in .config, but the build log never mentions anything about it and after running make there's no object files within mach-rk29 nor vpu_service.ko anywhere within the source tree.

Edit: To be clear the build succeeds, but there's no signs of vpu being included.

dt2158

Postby dt2158 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:49 am

junaru wrote:
          Omegamoon wrote:

Should we do more?

Hmm, tried that, but it doesn't look like it does anything. I have CONFIG_RK29_VPU enabled in .config, but the build log never mentions anything about it and after running make there's no object files within mach-rk29 nor vpu_service.ko anywhere within the source tree.

PS: Mk808 has been sent out today. Some weeks and I can do some more tests :lol:

Edit: To be clear the build succeeds, but there's no signs of vpu being included.

I took the vpu_service.uu from the link at github and use uudecode to output vpu_service.o. I place this this file in 'arch / arm / plat-rk / vpu_service.o and then it works. Therefore, IMHO, one should not delete arch\arm\plat-rk\include\plat\vpu_service.h and during during compile the file is linked with built-in.o I think.
            But I am not an kernel pro.

Omegamoon

Postby Omegamoon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:11 am

junaru wrote:
            Omegamoon wrote:

Should we do more?

The file arch/arm/mach-rk29/Kconfig contains a line containing config RK29_VPU. The same config option can be found in arch/arm/plat-rk/Kconfig. Remove the last reference or change it in something like config RK29_VPU_DISABLED

BooLE

Postby BooLE » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:16 am

Omegamoon wrote:
              deadhp1 wrote:Were you able to build with vpu_service?
              Zip and post the kernel if you want to, we can try it out!

Yes, I was able to build the vpu_service as well. Actually, I was able to include all the options I could see in the boot logs you guys provided, so that's good news.
              I'll attach the kernel here, but not without a big fat disclaimer...

*DISCLAIMER* This is a first build of a kernel for a device I don't have myself (yet), build from source code meant for a completely different device and configured using reverse engineering. That's why it (most probably) has issues. Be aware that it can brick your device. Hey, it could even seriously damage your device! If you don't know what you're doing, if you don't understand the implications of flashing wrong firmware or if you're not sure about the benefits, then leave it alone and wait for a stable build that has been tested thoroughly. Don't say I didn't warn you ;)
                kernel-3.0.8-mk808-omegamoon-20121017.zip

The kernel has to be re-packaged into a flashable format by the way. Use the available tools to do so. Needless to say I'm very curious to know if it boots, so please let me know!

I'll try to setup a repository on github later, so we all have the same (working?) base code.

Hi,

can someone be so kind to inject this ZImage into boot.img. I'm running only windows machines and now I don't have any ubuntu running machine. I'm willing to help you test :ugeek:

Please share also config file with compiled ZImage...

On which dmesg is it based from ICS or JB?
              Last edited by BooLE on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omegamoon

Postby Omegamoon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:32 am

dt2158 wrote:I took the vpu_service.uu from the link at github and use uudecode to output vpu_service.o. I place this this file in 'arch / arm / plat-rk / vpu_service.o and then it works. Therefore, IMHO, one should not delete arch\arm\plat-rk\include\plat\vpu_service.h and during during compile the file is linked with built-in.o I think.
              I renamed the vpu_service.h to make sure it uses the correct include file (the one in arch/arm/mach-rk29/include/mach). You shouldn't need to manually decode the vpu_service.uu file. This should be automatically done during the build process.

Like I said, I'm doing this from the top of my head, so I can't remember all the changes I made exactly. Maybe I'm still missing something.

junaru

Postby junaru » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:46 am

Omegamoon wrote:
              dt2158 wrote:I took the vpu_service.uu from the link at github and use uudecode to output vpu_service.o. I place this this file in 'arch / arm / plat-rk / vpu_service.o and then it works. Therefore, IMHO, one should not delete arch\arm\plat-rk\include\plat\vpu_service.h and during during compile the file is linked with built-in.o I think.
              I renamed the vpu_service.h to make sure it uses the correct include file (the one in arch/arm/mach-rk29/include/mach). You shouldn't need to manually decode the vpu_service.uu file. This should be automatically done during the build process.

Like I said, I'm doing this from the top of my head, so I can't remember all the changes I made exactly. Maybe I'm still missing something.

Well i couldn't manage to get it working any of the ways you and dt2158 mention, so i think i'll just wait for the repo :D

deadhp1

Postby deadhp1 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:04 pm

Omegamoon wrote:Yes, I was able to build the vpu_service as well. Actually, I was able to include all the options I could see in the boot logs you guys provided, so that's good news.

*DISCLAIMER* This is a first build of a kernel for a device I don't have myself (yet), build from source code meant for a completely different device and configured using reverse engineering. That's why it (most probably) has issues. Be aware that it can brick your device. Hey, it could even seriously damage your device! If you don't know what you're doing, if you don't understand the implications of flashing wrong firmware or if you're not sure about the benefits, then leave it alone and wait for a stable build that has been tested thoroughly. Don't say I didn't warn you ;)

The kernel has to be re-packaged into a flashable format by the way. Use the available tools to do so. Needless to say I'm very curious to know if it boots, so please let me know!

I'll try to setup a repository on github later, so we all have the same (working?) base code.

I took this zImage and put it into a kernel.img using rkcrc -k, but HDMI video output doesn't seem to work.
              I can tell that the device is booting because I get a usb connection, but hdmi is not. I'd need a serial connection to tell more.(I just don't have the cable/converter). I may be doing something wrong, but I have a feeling we need a bit more to get it running properly.

osgema

Postby osgema » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:00 pm

deadhp1 wrote:
              Omegamoon wrote:Yes, I was able to build the vpu_service as well. Actually, I was able to include all the options I could see in the boot logs you guys provided, so that's good news.

I took this zImage and put it into a kernel.img using rkcrc -k, but HDMI video output doesn't seem to work.
              I can tell that the device is booting because I get a usb connection, but hdmi is not. I'd need a serial connection to tell more.(I just don't have the cable/converter). I may be doing something wrong, but I have a feeling we need a bit more to get it running properly.

I managed to build the zimage and modules.
              How do I build the boot.img?
              Where do I put the modules?
              Last edited by osgema on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShuttleMunky

Postby ShuttleMunky » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:24 am

What exactly is being done here? :D A little bit of explanation?
              Apparently i am a noob. Are you guys trying to build a rom that fixes all the problems?

Omegamoon

Postby Omegamoon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:08 am

deadhp1 wrote:I took this zImage and put it into a kernel.img using rkcrc -k, but HDMI video output doesn't seem to work.

Can't you just connect through USB, and get access with adb?

Omegamoon

Postby Omegamoon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:19 am

ShuttleMunky wrote:What exactly is being done here? :D A little bit of explanation?
              Apparently i am a noob. Are you guys trying to build a rom that fixes all the problems?

In the end, we want to be in full control of the device, and don't want to be dependable on a some manufacturer that doesn't want to understand the implications of using others (free!) code. So yes, that means fixing things that are broken, adding additional functionality, new ROMs etc.

But for now, we're just trying to have some fun :)

Omegamoon

Postby Omegamoon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:24 am

osgema wrote:I managed to build the zimage and modules.

Normally, you just extract the boot.img first using:

abootimg -x boot.img

Then repackage the boot.img with the replacement kernel, using:

abootimg -u boot.img -f bootimg.cfg -k newKernelImageFilename -r initrd.img

The modules have to be put into the system.img, not the boot.img
              Last edited by Omegamoon on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

osgema

Postby osgema » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:29 am

Omegamoon wrote:
              osgema wrote:I managed to build the zimage and modules.

Normally, you just extract the boot.img first using:

abootimg -x boot.img

Then repackage the boot.img with the replacement kernel, using:

abootimg -u boot.img -f bootimg.cfg -k newKernelImageFilename -r initrd.img

Thank you very much.

You're a book of wisdom.

I sent a private before seeing your reply.

What I said about the modules?

Omegamoon

Postby Omegamoon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:44 am

osgema wrote:You're a book of wisdom.

You make me blush :oops:
              osgema wrote:What I said about the modules?

I just updated my answer in my previous post ;) The modules have to be put into the system.img, not the boot.img

BooLE

Postby BooLE » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:48 am

@Omegamoon

Please share also config file with compiled ZImage...

So we can check what you included, and what could maybe improved.

Return to “Development”