How to root the MK808

How to root the MK808

Postby deadhp1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:09 am

I've put together this little guide for rooting the MK808.
First off it should be noted that your MK808 will not be detected by using the power usb port.
Use the OTG port on the side of the MK808 and it will be detected.

I am not responsible if you brick your device!
This is based off a guide written by Piers on vondroid for the N101 II. http://vondroid.com/threads/root-instructions-jelly-bean-only.680/

1) Download Moborobo and unrar into a folder.
MoboroboSetup_V2.0.2.290(Moborobo_En_official)(1).rar

2) Download TPSarky-VonDroid-Root.zip and unzip into a folder.
TPSarky-VonDroid-Root.zip

3) Install Moborobo and open it

4) Make sure USB Debugging is enabled on your MK808 via either of the following methods:

A) By installing Launcher Pro and making a new shortcut that points to Development Settings(which is missing in the normal settings menu.)
Shortcuts->Activities->Settings->Development (com.android.settings.DevelopmentSettings)
Enable USB Debugging.

B) Install Terminal emulator and type:
Code: Select all
am start -a android.intent.action.main -n com.android.settings/.DevelopmentSettings

Enable USB Debugging when settings pops up.

5) Wait for Moborobo to see the device and install drivers. It will detect the device as rk30sdk.

6)Run TPSparkyRoot.bat and follow the on-screen instructions.
Your MK808 will reboot a couple of times during this process.
When complete move on to the next step.(TPSarkyRoot.bat is also supposed to install SuperSU, but at least on my MK808 it didn't)

7)Install SuperSU from Play Store.(If not installed in previous step)

8)Optional Install BusyBox from Play Store.

If all went well you should be rooted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deadhp1

Re: How to root the MK808

Postby mk808fans » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks for the post!

i get few questions.

when i connect the mk808 with the computer, nothing happen ,why?

after you root, have you tried the droidmote, can you control this with your smartphone?
mk808fans

Postby deadhp1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:46 pm

I left out the most important part!!!!
Instead of using the power mini USB, use the OTG USB port.
deadhp1

Postby kmunir » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:41 pm

Thanks for these deadhp1. I have rooted mine now. I am having similar issues as you were having. have posted my findings in another thread.
kmunir

Postby eminarcissus » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:52 am

Hi,
I've followed the instruction but after enabled debug option and plug usb into the otg port, it asking me to install driver of mk808 and I couldn't find it anywhere.
Any suggestions ?

Thx in advance for help :)
eminarcissus

Postby mrspin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:36 am

eminarcissus wrote:Hi,
I've followed the instruction but after enabled debug option and plug usb into the otg port, it asking me to install driver of mk808 and I couldn't find it anywhere.
Any suggestions ?

when in device manager, for the component that has a ? you have to browse the folder where you unzipped the rocktool to on your pc.
mrspin

Postby eminarcissus » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:46 am

mrspin wrote:
Any suggestions ?

when in device manager, for the component that has a ? you have to browse the folder where you unzipped the rocktool to on your pc.

Thx for that. I haven't found rocktool under either of directories under the unpacked attachment. Do I have to download it from elsewhere?
eminarcissus

Postby mrspin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:52 am

eminarcissus wrote:
mrspin wrote:
Any suggestions ?

Thx for that. I haven't found rocktool under either of directories under the unpacked attachment. Do I have to download it from elsewhere?

try harder - this is easy!

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=45
mrspin

Postby eminarcissus » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:06 am

mrspin wrote:
try harder - this is easy!

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=45

I've actually already tried that one but it didn't recognize it.
here's my device manager's snapshot :
eminarcissus

Postby eminarcissus » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:17 am

Oops, I think i've got the culprit... I didn't install android sdk on the virtual-machine so it doesn't have adb driver for adb shell.
eminarcissus

Postby sirsuvad » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:02 am

I'm successfully install the driver for MK808 by the Moborobo detected, download and install it.
But when I'm execute adb devices It's said device not found. Try to execute TPSarkyRoot.bat also said device not found.

The adb cannot find the MK808. It seems like debugging mode did not enabled but I already enable it by execute 'am start -a android.intent.action.main -n com.android.settings/.DevelopmentSettings' to access to hidden setting screen then check the option.

Anybody could suggest me, What did I missed/done wrong !?

BTW-
The driver from rocktool is for Flashing firmware, not for adb connection, I think.
I'm using Window 7. Just recieved MK808 this week. order from AliExpress.
sirsuvad

Postby lebante » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:38 am

sirsuvad wrote:Anybody could suggest me, What did I missed/done wrong !?
The device reboots several times in the process and moborobo losts the connection. You must reconnect manually each time to complete the process.

Sorry for my English.
lebante

Postby aakho » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:24 pm

I am trying to root the device using my Ubuntu machine and lsusb doesn't detect the mk808. I've connected it using the OTG port. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:
I had misunderstood - connecting via OTG meant connecting ONLY via OTG. I had actually connected the other mini-USB port too, thinking that I could power up the device via the other port and connect to the computer via OTB port.
So now I have the device accessible via adb by setting the appropriate udev rules.
aakho

Postby jefflessard » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:08 am

I tought some of you might be interested to know that the MK808 is factory rooted...
you can check this by using "adb shell id", it should tell you that you are user root (id 0).

"su" is also working nicely, though, I've not tested it with SuperSU.
I mean, all apps are granted root access by default and it won't ask you before granting those rights to the app.
jefflessard

Postby ginopaneg » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:27 am

if i download SuperUser from market for checking if I have root access could make problems?
If I dont have root access it says to me only that or not?

excuse-me for my english
ginopaneg

Postby halen2012 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:56 am

where can i get the mk808 tv box? i found one here, but i think it is too expensive.
halen2012

Postby octavo7dia » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:19 am

hi, im having troubles with mi mk... the screen turns into green when i try to access playstore or the browser... does anyone knows how to fix that?
thanks in advance!!
octavo7dia

Postby sidelong » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:43 am

Perhaps OT, but I can confirm that the MK809 is NOT rooted as supplied.
sidelong

Postby sidelong » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:44 pm

deadhp1 wrote:I've put together this little guide for rooting the MK808.
First off it should be noted that your MK808 will not be detected by using the power usb port.
Use the OTG port on the side of the MK808 and it will be detected.

I am not responsible if you brick your device!
This is based off a guide written by Piers on vondroid for the N101 II. http://vondroid.com/threads/root-instructions-jelly-bean-only.680/

1) Download Moborobo and unrar into a folder.
MoboroboSetup_V2.0.2.290(Moborobo_En_official)(1).rar

2) Download TPSarky-VonDroid-Root.zip and unzip into a folder.
TPSarky-VonDroid-Root.zip

3) Install Moborobo and open it

4) Make sure USB Debugging is enabled on your MK808 via either of the following methods:

A) By installing Launcher Pro and making a new shortcut that points to Development Settings(which is missing in the normal settings menu.)
Shortcuts->Activities->Settings->Development (com.android.settings.DevelopmentSettings)
Enable USB Debugging.

B) Install Terminal emulator and type:
Code: Select all
am start -a android.intent.action.main -n com.android.settings/.DevelopmentSettings

Enable USB Debugging when settings pops up.

5) Wait for Moborobo to see the device and install drivers. It will detect the device as rk30sdk.

6)Run TPSparkyRoot.bat and follow the on-screen instructions.
Your MK808 will reboot a couple of times during this process.
When complete move on to the next step.(TPSarkyRoot.bat is also supposed to install SuperSU, but at least on my MK808 it didn't)

7)Install SuperSU from Play Store.(If not installed in previous step)

8)Optional Install BusyBox from Play Store.

If all went well you should be rooted.

Well, I followed these instructions, to no avail. It seems that my problem is that the Mobo Daemon is not compatible with the way I have my MK809 set up. Running Moborobo on the PC and then plugging in the MK809 data (not power) port does not result in any drivers (or Mobo Daemon I presume) being installed. Neither is Mobo Daemon available from Google Play Store. The error message asserts that Mobo Daemon is incompatible with my device. So I can't make any progress. Any ideas about what is causing the incompatibility between my MK809 and Mobo Daemon. And yes, I have followed all the instructions to the letter, and confirmed afterwards that the Security and Develper setting are correct. I added one other, which was to tick the "connect to PC" box in USB settings. All suggestions gratefully received.
sidelong

Postby rothenbj » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:14 am

I got down to-

"5) Wait for Moborobo to see the device and install drivers. It will detect the device as rk30sdk."

I plugged the mk808 into the USB port and waited for something to happen, like Moborobo to see it but nothing. There was also no indication that the PC recognized that it was attached, much like the issues I had in updating the firmware. I was temped to take a paper clip to the reset button, but figured I'd ask before I fouled up my hours of progress.

Thanks in advance.
rothenbj

Next

Return to MK808